Manic Monday

07.36 Sat on the train once more making my way to London. Today I have a Urology appointment at 0900 and then a Bone Scan at 1100. The first appointment is at Westmoreland Street and the second at Warren Street.

Let’s hope it all goes to plan!

Feeling a bit tired after a horrible journey home yesterday and then an early start but overall I feel recharged and ready to start the Neptunes trial and all that may bring.

0840. Just arrived at UCLH Westmoreland Street where the Urology Department is. There are 5 off us in the waiting room already. Got chatting to one man who had travelled down from Milton Keynes. He sounded like he was from the USA.

0940 and I finally go into see Mr Nauth-Misir who was having problems with his PC, a nurse came in and gave the keyboard a wipe and that seemed to resolve it.

We then went through my history and current medication.

I explained that I was still suffering from Nocturia and it was causing me to be tired.

I said I felt I was taking the tablets at the wrong time of day as I felt I was peeing more during the night.

He said the best of the tablets was Solifinicin and so I am going to go back on them but take them earlier in the day. He also booked me in for an Ultrasound and a Flowtest which will happen on the 25th June.

I will then have a follow up with him on 16 July.

He seemed like a nice man and once the tests have been done I hope he can sort the Nocturia out.

And then took a brisk walk to Warren Street passing Harley Street along the way.

I will write more about this on another day.

1045 and I arrive at the Nuclear Medicine Department on the 5th floor of UCLH. I was a little early and hoping to get things started early.

It was good job I was early as they said I had a CT Scan booked for 1120. While a CT scan was mentioned I was never told it was booked.

The scan was over at the Macmillan Cancer Centre so off I popped over the road.

I was directed into the basement and quickly processed and before long my trousers were off and I was wearing my hospital robe.

Good job I had my best boxers on as it had no ties on it so I had to kept a firm hold of it.

Once again I was called forward and a male nurse prepped me for the scan. For a CT scan they inject you with a contrasting fluid to provide definition in the images.

Prep did not go well and first attempt to put the canula in my arm did not go well and I was squirming around as he tried to get it into the vein. I am sure I am getting more sensitive to needles!

He did manage to get it in but said the vein was blocked so he then put the canula into my right hand. Which went much better although I still did a bit of squirming.

With canula in place I was then called in for the scan.

I waddled down the corridor with my hospital robe falling off carrying my belongings and losing my dignity.

I was soon lying on the bed ready for the scan.

In my experience whenever I have had a CT Scan they have asked me to put my hands about my head, I think this is so they can get to the canula. But it is a slightly uncomfortable position.

Once in position they attach the drip with the contrasting fluid in to the canula. You feel rather than see what they are doing.

I am not sure if the first scan is a dry run or not because the contrasting fluid is not used. The scan is controlled remotely as the radiographers operator the scanner behind glass. You are moved forward into the scanner and then a robotic voice asks you to “Breathe In and Hold”.

The machine spins and you are moved out of the scanner where the robot tells you can “Breathe Out”.

You are given a chance to catch your breath and then someone tells you that they are going to inject the Contrasting Fluid. I didn’t feel anything immediately but then it feels like warm water or blood is trickling down your arm. I realise this is the warm feeling that they had mentioned and not blood but it did feel weird.

Then once again it’s “Breathe in and hold” the machine purrs and then “Breathe Out”.

The whole scan process takes about 15 mins and is quick and efficient.

I am directed to the changing room where I change taking care not to disturb the cannula.

I then head off to the main building for my Bone Scan.

I arrive bang on time and am directed to a waiting area and pretty soon a nurse calls me forward and takes some details. She tells me that our injections are not yet ready and I am directed back to the waiting room.

Before long one of the nurses returns with a small trolley, on it are about a dozen small tubes, about the size of two toilet roll holders pushed together, they all have sticky labels on.

I got to pick my one up and they are really heavy, I guess they are made of lead to contain the radiation.

The nurse changes the adaptors on my cannula so she can administer a saline solution and the radioactive dose at the same time. The radioactive dose is in an unusual looking syringe made of metal. Again I guess to stop stop exposure to the radiation it contains.

The saline and the dose of radioactive fluid are both injected and that part is complete.

I am told to return at 3.20 PM for the scan and so with 3 hours to kill I head over to Southwark to meet Barbara for lunch.

By the time I return to UCLH at about 3 PM I am feeling tired. Not sure why but it had been an early start and I had been injected with Contrasting Fluid and a small Radioactive dose.

About 4pm I am finally called forward for my scan.

As I lie on the bed I am told the scan will last 18 minutes, time for a nap I thought!

They move the scanner really close to your face so the best thing to do is to close your eyes and keep still.

18 minutes later the scan is complete and I am told I can go.

Feeling tired I head to the station to make my way home knowing I will be back on Wednesday to see Dr Linch and find out the results and more about the Neptunes Trial.

One thought on “Manic Monday”

  1. Oh Phillip I have had all those too and I really feel for you. I have even been in the underground bunker at UCLH. It is exhausting and I always found the ‘hold your breath’ voice a little freaky. And the cannula thing is a nightmare! I have had to have an anaesthestist with a paediatric needle before so rest assured they always manage to get you somehow – however much squirming you have to do 😬. Hope you are home now and having some well-earned rest and that Wednesday goes well for you. I will be thinking of you Justine xx


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: